Johnson Funeral Home was founded by the late Fred C. and Bessie L. Johnson in Houston, Texas in 1934. After many years as a grave digger and a few years as the owner of Dickinson Funeral Home in Dickinson, Texas circa 1931-1934, the Johnson's opened a facility in the Third Ward section of Houston at the corner of Pierce and Dowling. Fred and Bessie recognized that in order to grow, they would have to provide extraordinary service to the community. That knowledge for years was reflected in the motto, "We Will go to Extra Lengths to Serve You" . Our Founders did exactly that, and were blessed to have the city respond to that service.
Business grew over the years and the need for better facilities were the necesary result. First we moved to 2301 McGowen in the 1950's.We have been at our current location 5730 Calhoun Road since 1972.
Growth was also characterized by change. Charles Johnson took control of the management of the funeral home from the founders with assistance from his wife Betty and that of his sister, Freddie Guess, Charles was joined by a dedicated team of professionals in the growing company. This staff came to be reognized for their commitment to fairness, timeliness and graciousness in the service that they provided.
In 1989 the business enterred the third generation of famly supervision. Family members Walter Johnson and Sam Guess, the youngest children of Charles Johnson and Freddie Guess, assumed managemnt duties. Their management has been ably assisted by the current staff of capable full and part-time staff. In 2009 Craig Johnson joined the operation representing the fourth generation of family involvment.
From the early days of 1934 to the present, this African-American business has strived to provide "Service Second to None"